10 Best Autoflowering Strains For Hot Climates 2022
This autoflowers withstand heat and are highly resilient giving you an advantage when growing outdoors.
- 1. Original auto bubblegum
- 2. Bruce banner auto
- 3. Original auto amnesia haze
- 4. Cinderella auto
- 5. Tangie’matic
- 6. Rhino ryder auto
- 7. Orange sherbet auto
- 8. Blue dream’matic
- 9. Trainwreck auto
- 10. Original auto white widow
- 11. In conclusion
When growing outdoors you have to work with what you have, there’s no way to control nature. In this article, we’ll help you choose an autoflower with a high resistance to heat and slightly dry climates for your 2022 grow cycle.
1. Original Auto BubbleGum
The Original Bubble Gum is an old-school classic, the ideal blend of Indica and Sativa, only taking 9 weeks to be harvested and with a THC level of 20%. She is perfect if you want a strain that will deliver in all climates, she can withstand long dry periods and has a strong resistance to harsher climates.
This was a problem free easy to grow strain. I liked her short and wide structure. She smells just like dank bubblegum.
This autoflower will grow tall and range between 80-120cm (30-47in), producing one main cola and long side branches, her buds will be very large and dense encrusted in crystals, giving her a very sticky feel. With an extremely fruity, floral, and sweet with a strawberry edge smell is an excellent choice for socializing, the effects are upbeat and joyful with a nice sense of clarity and creativity.
- She can go tall, be sure to have enough space or use LST techniques during the first 4 weeks.
- It is recommended for making hash as she will produce an abundance of smaller leaves covered in trichomes.
- This strain is well known for being a heavy feeder, make sure to feed her accordingly as she usually grows without showing signs of deficiency.
2. Bruce Banner Auto
Improve ideal growth patterns, strong effects, delicious aromas, and a THC level of 25%. Being a mostly Sativa hybrid it can take up to 11 weeks to finish. Bruce Banner Auto loves sun, if you can give her 20hs of light a day, go for it, it will deliver accordingly, she can stretch up to 150cm growing zestful and tightly packed flowers.
Tested these with the other new strains. Grown in soil and coco mix in 19L pots and 20/4 light cycle. One of my favorites from the testers.
These buds will be heavily coated in crystals and offer a mouth-watering diesel and sweet berry taste that comes in hand an uplifting creative high, great for conversing and creative activities (novices may want to watch out!).
- Make sure you have enough vertical space because this strain grows super tall!
- Have your trim bin ready because the sugar leaves are extremely frosty.
3. Original Auto Amnesia Haze
A mostly Sativa strain recommended to growers living in hot climates, where she can really take off in height and produce huge yields, is usually ready to chop in 70 days, and can have up to 22% THC. This strain grows vigorously and can easily hit up to 150cm (60in, one of the tallest autoflowers available) she will grow with large space between her internodes, and her flowers will glisten with trichomes and throw out large-sized bright orange hairy pistils.
I really liked this one a lot! Very nice dense flowers. I wish she had yielded more, but overall I am definitely happy with this girl!
A truly unique blend of orange citrus with floral overtones on the inhale, and turns to a deeper, citrus dominant flavor on the exhale. Original Auto Amnesia Haze delivers a soaring, cerebral roller coaster that stimulates all the senses, users will feel focused and highly motivated at first then changing to a relaxed high, perfect for reading, writing, gaming or just hanging out at home with friends.
- We recommend using LST techniques to get the most out of her.
- When flowering, add support to prevent hanging due to excessive production.
4. Cinderella Auto
We were able to enhance all desirable traits that make Cinderella so popular, a super reliable plant that grows incredibly well in hot climates highly resilient, and is very easy to grow. This plant can reach up to 120cm (47in), producing very dense, frosty buds at every branch and internode, making her a heavy yielder (450-550gr/m2 or 1.5-1.8oz).
Heavy yielder, strong structure, pine nose, forgiving and easy to grow, can increase yield even more with some LST and defoliation
Cinderella Auto flowers will ooze with resin and her pistils will have a golden hue, her flavor can be described as a delicious blend of pineapple, peach, and overall sweet tastes. This girl will immediately relax you, a balanced high that will provoke creativity as well, a great choice for social nights out (Be warned that smoking too much can leave you in a dream state that can last for hours!).
- We recommend growing her any time of the year as she will withstand any climate and won’t require much maintenance.
- Training this strain in the vegetative stage of growth will increase the number of flowering sites, promoting production even more.
- Due to her large size, training is especially important in cases where space is limited .
Tangie’matic is a predominantly Sativa strain that can grow up to 130cm (51in) with a high THC content (23%) that will get you flying through the clouds. Our take on this strain, successfully recapturing all the magic of this classic. Easy to grow and adaptable to almost all grow setups Tangie’matic lives up to the Sativa lineage, yielding up to 500 gr/m2 (1.1lb), she produces a tall main cola with impressive side branches to match.
Dense nugs cooovered in trichomes. The aroma that comes off this strain is wonderful. Nice uplifting and motivating high.
Packing on thick buds with green and purple hues and bright orange pistils, these tight frosty buds can rival the heaviest Indicas. This strain packs a Tangie punch, sweet earthy notes followed by sharp orange flavors, give it a mouth-watering flavor profile delivering a fully functional Sativa high without any head rush, the perfect strain for daytime and getting stuff done any users claim Tangie’Matic helps maintain focus and is great for recreational and laborious activities.
- Be sure to give a nice long cure to bring out all the delicious terps.
- A carbon filter is needed due to her strong smell.
- She’s a heavy eater, so be ready to feed her frequently and be sure to flush properly to optimize the flavor profile.
6. Rhino Ryder Auto
Rhino Ryder Auto is one of the best hybrids out there for hash making (highly recommend strain for making cannabis concentrates), It’s really easy to grow and delivers huge yields in only 9 weeks. Her name is a cue to how powerful she is and what can be expected, grows up to 100cm (39in), and has a THC level of 20% and 1.2% CBD. It’s a good strain for growers with limited space, thanks to her Indica heritage, will grow bushy with short internodal spacing and fat fan leaves delivering golf ball-sized buds with an intense production of trichomes even on the fan leaves and surrounding plant material. The flavors are earthy, peppery, cinnamon with fruity pear overtones that transcend into a smooth floral edge.
This strain was the biggest grower out of all my auto grows. The plant developed and unusually strong and thick stem from the beginning.
A very soft and enjoyable taste that will have you sprawled out on the couch licking your lips, wanting more and more. Thanks to her THC and CBD levels it has a medical effect and is best for relaxing the body, causing heavy fuzzy eyes, and the feeling of wanting to lie down and catch up on some needed sleep, a very physical effect that can be difficult to shake off (so be warned!) She is recommended for medical patients and those with a very high tolerance to the strongest of Indica.
- She is a very tough hybrid that is ideal for anyone experiencing challenging climates (either hot or cold) you can grow her without worrying about mold or mildew all year long.
- Once flowering begins, we advise feeding her a strong nutrient solution to help her on her way to massive yields.
7. Orange Sherbet Auto
An easy to grow and hardy strain, growers of all levels can appreciate it, can grow up to 150cm (59in) taking around 10 weeks to fully mature despite her Sativa influence. When flowering, Orange Sherbet Auto will produce up to 500-650gr/m2 (1.6-2.1lb) of large-sized nugs, making her a large producing autoflowering strain.
I grew this with other fast buds strains. I’m very happy how they all grew. I use soil, 19L pots on a 20/4 light cycle. They love it.
She reeks of a deliciously sweet, orange, and sour terpene combination. This Sativa-dominant hybrid is an excellent choice for commercial growers, hash makers, and extractors, delivering up to 24% THC. Despite her Indica side, her Sativa heritage speaks louder, she will keep you on a soaring, cerebral wave that will enhance creativity, energy levels, and motivation.
- Make sure to support the branches during flowering due to the size of the buds.
- Due to the delicious terpene profile, it’s an excellent choice of hash makers.
- It’s highly recommended to perform LST to allow the lower flowering sites to develop properly.
8. Blue Dream’matic
This Sativa-dominant (around 75% Sativa) will grow at a fast pace quickly producing massive buds in 9-10 weeks, tested at 22% THC, her leaves will be thin and long, and she can develop into a bushy plant in almost no time at all, branches will grow quite thin, typical of Sativa plants. When flowering starts she can grow up to 110cm (43in) and is a very productive autoflower, yielding up to 600 gr/m2 (13lb). Blue Dream’matic effects are powerful, upbeat, and energetic, physical effects are light but together compliment the cerebral effects nicely.
A wonderful flower to start the day with, enjoy socially with friends, long walks in nature, sunny days at the beach, and enhance your inner creativity. She is a truly tasty strain that anyone would enjoy, with hints of ripe cherry, orange, citrus, and pine flavors with fruit tart mixed in will keep your taste buds guessing after every puff.
- She loves frequent watering and can take a heavy nutrient solution with no issues at all.
- We recommend LST in the first 4 weeks and pruning the lower parts of the plant before blooming begins, this will increase the amount of energy the plants used on its top buds, and ensure that there will be no unwanted popcorn buds forming.
- Remember to provide support for the large buds and prevent them from falling over with the excess weight.
9. Trainwreck Auto
Our Trainwreck Auto is our take on the classic strain. Thanks to her heritage she performs very well in the cold and can achieve outstanding results in hot climates. Despite her short life span of around 8 – 9 weeks, she delivers THC levels up to 22% and can yield up to 550 gr/m2 (1.6lb). It’s a perfect representation of a well-balanced hybrid in all aspects, a medium-size strain that will grow between 70-120cm (27-47in) and will grow multiple side branches with short internodal spaces and beautiful buds covered in trichomes. At the flowering stage reeks of a unique combination of spicy, lemony, pine, and sweet flavors.
The buds grow large, dense, and coated with light orange hairs. The effects after smoking the Trainwreck Auto are very pleasant and allow you to quickly relax after a long day of work while maintaining a focused and alert mindset, also a great strain for waking up with a clear head and getting through a long day stress-free.
- This variety grows very well without any form of training but it’s recommended to perform LST technique to space out the canopy and get even better yields.
- Flush for at least 7 days to wash the excess nutrients from the medium and get even better flavors.
10. Original Auto White Widow
The Original Auto White Widow is an old-school legend, multiple world champions with an insane resin profile, one of the original strains from the 1980s. This strain will produce incredible results outdoors and can withstand hot and cold weather with ease. Grows between 70-110cm (27-43in) with up to 20% THC she will produce one main cola with side branches growing out and tall as she fills with silver coated, large-sized nugs in 9 weeks can yield up to 500 gr/m2 (1.1lb).
It’s hard to explain, but I find the taste of this to be kinda refreshing. There’s something that makes it taste slightly like menthol.
She gets covered in trichomes from top to bottom, with a dark green hue and maroon brown pistils even can take on a pink and magenta hues as she gets close to her harvest date, revealing her true beauty even further. The effects are uplifting and clear-minded, she will keep all systems going, perfect for smoking when you’re busy, keeping sharp and alert. Her high is not too racy and will transcend into a relaxing state the more you smoke with a spicy, earthy and sweet flavor, delivering a particular taste that the old school generation will love.
- Highly recommended for beginner growers new to autoflowers, this is a sturdy reliable strain that can be left to grow with very little maintenance.
- She also performs incredibly well when grown in a Sea of Green.
These strains will perform extremely well in hot climates, you can’t go wrong with any of them indoors or outdoors!
14 Heat-Resistant Cannabis Strains
Every cannabis strain is different when it comes to temperature. Some strains of marijuana are easily stressed by heat, while other strains would thrive in the exact same environment or even prefer it. Genetics originating from a cold climate tend to be more heat-sensitive, though many hybrids of these strains have been mixed with heat-resistant strains to make them more suitable for warmer climates. You can get a clue of a plant’s heritage from how it grows. It also helps to look at the breeder’s description to see if it mentions anything about heat.
Heat-sensitive plants often grow in a short and bushy way (though not always). Plants that can handle the heat tend to grow tall, stretchy, with thinner leaves.
More sensitive to heat (on average)
tend to be relatively sensitive to heat since they originated in Siberia (though I included examples of heat-resistant autoflowering strains on the second half of the list)
- Many Indica-leaning plants, which also come from cool climates, can be surprisingly sensitive to the heat.
- I’ve noticed plants that tend to grow short, bushy, and wide with fat leaves (signs of indica heritage) are often more sensitive to heat
More sensitive to cold (and resistant to heat)
- Sativa, Haze, African, Afghan, and Hawaiian strains tend to be more heat-resistant since they originate from hot climates.
- Plants that tend to grow tall, thing, and stretchy with narrow leaves (signs of Sativa heritage) tend to be able to handle the heat, though they can get severely shocked by cold
Save your plants from the effects of heat stress!
Examples of Heat-Resistant Cannabis Strains
- In addition to doing well in the heat, this strain is overall easy-to-grow and resistant to pests and mold
- Buds produce very heavy effects (a “brain melter”)
- Great yields and bud quality
This Afghan plant survived burning hot temperatures during a heat wave
- Tends to be very heat resistant even though it grows short and stout like an Indica
- Sparkly, dense buds even if you make mistakes
- Classic effects that bring you relaxation without overwhelm
I’ve been pleased every time I’ve grown Aurora Indica. This one (on left in blue tub) thrived in the summer under an enormous 600W light even in a hydroponic setup (the plant on the right did not fair nearly as well in the heat)
- Withstands heat and light better than most strains I’ve grown
- Strong fast plants that tend to be stretchy/tall (not the best choice for small spaces)
- Buds are consistently potent and high quality
- Takes 12-13 weeks in the flowering stage but rewards with huge yields
Sour Diesel is the plant on the left. It produced over 9 ounces on one plant.
This bud from that Sour Diesel plant grew within 8″ (20cm) of a 600W grow light in the middle of a heatwave. The plant on the right suffered tons of damage despite being further away. On the other hand, the Sour Diesel buds came out huge and potent with a little heat foxtailing on top buds that were closest to the hot light.
- Resistant to heat as well as plant stress in general
- Incredible fruity smell
- “Body stone” that keeps you glued to the couch
A Blackberry Kush plant in a DIY setup
Special mentions for photoperiod strains
I have not grown these strains in heat personally, but they have come recommended from other growers for being heat-resistant.
(Big Head Seeds version) (Dutch Passion version)
Pineapple Express Auto
- An auto-flowering plant that’s ready to harvest about 70 days from germination
- Buds are huge and dense with “feel good” effects
- Legendary tropical smell
- Get Pineapple Express Auto seeds
This Pineapple Express Auto cannabis plant by “Smarty” was grown aeroponically. What a beast!
THC Bomb Auto
- An auto-flowering plant that’s ready to harvest about 75 days from germination in my experience
- I’ve grown it several times, and it always turns out well (though they all grow a little different)
- This strain experienced temperatures up to 89°F (32°C) during the middle of summer, and never skipped a beat
- Very potent strain, and good yields
- Get THC Bomb Auto seeds
Examples of THC Bomb Auto at harvest
Auto Amnesia by MSNL
- Another heat-resistant auto-flowering plant
- Ready to harvest about 11 weed from germination
- This strain has thrived in every condition I’ve grown it in, including some very hot days
- Tends to be easy to grow and hardy
- Beautiful buds, potency and overall bud quality
- Try out these Auto Amnesia genetics
Here are some examples of Auto Amnesia plants I’ve grown.
Auto Amnesia grown in a mini tent under a 100W LED grow light
Example of those buds after being dried and cured
Here are more Auto Amnesia plants. See the full grow journal.
Sour Diesel Auto (Seed Supreme version)
- This auto-flowering strain tends to get tall and grow stretchy (so that brings it closer to the grow light) but even when it was extremely close it didn’t seem to get light-stressed like most other strains
- I had one plant that grew almost next to the light and it just grew a big fat healthy bud
This Sour Diesel Auto grew enormously tall under the ES300 LED grow light (one of my favorite LEDs I’ve tried so far) but was able to soak up all the light without a problem (just like regular Sour Diesel)
Special mentions for auto-flowering strains
I have not grown this strain personally, but it was recommended by a grower as being heat-resistant.
How to grow cannabis in hot climates
To many outdoor cannabis growers a hot, sunny climate can seem like the perfect environment to grow cannabis. With hot weather you may be able to grow all year round and even get several successive crops from autoflower seeds. Mold and bud rot might seem to be an unlikely threat. Bright, intense sunshine is perfect for bud production. However a hot climate can bring it’s own problems, some of them serious.
Not all cannabis strains cope well in intense heat and for some growers, drought can be a threat. So can extreme heat when temperature reaches soil-scorching temperatures in excess of 30ºC (90ºF and above). For water loving plants such as cannabis, growing in hot climates can bring some real challenges. Here are our top tips for growers facing the various problems of growing cannabis in hot climates.
Growing cannabis in hot/dry vs hot/humid climates
Hot and sunny weather can be a blessing to cannabis growers… in moderation. When the heat gets too much it can restrict the ability of the cannabis plant to grow. In the worst cases, extreme heat can cause cannabis plants to wilt and die. There are two main types of heat for outdoor cannabis growers to consider. Both types of hot climates come with their own respective challenges.
Those growing in tropical heat may often find that their high temperatures are accompanied by high levels of humidity and moisture. This can significantly increase chances of mold or bud rot, especially for some strains. Those growing in dry, desert-like heat will find the opposite problem of low humidity levels which can have a harsh drying effect on your plants. Last but not least, low humidity levels combined with heat can also be attractive for certain pests such as spider mites.
Hot and dry climate cannabis growing basics
Hot and dry climates can be found in many desert-like regions of the world where summer rainfall levels can be very low. In North America, these conditions can be found in some of the southern and south-west states such as Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. European growers in parts of the mediterranean will also be familiar with these hot and dry conditions for growing cannabis, as will growers in parts of Australia, Africa and elsewhere.
Cannabis will have a very high demand for water in such conditions. The combined effects of constant heat and dry, low-humidity ambient air will tend to sap the moisture from your cannabis plants. In such conditions growers often monitor their plant throughout the day for signs of wilting and will provide nutritional feeds at morning, night and sometimes at additional points too.
If temperatures really start pushing towards extreme levels of 100ºF/40ºC then growers may be forced to move their plants into the shade (if they are transportable). Or they may wish to cover them with a tarpaulin (or similar) to protect them from the worst of the heat which is often around midday/afternoon.
The attentive grower will also closely monitor their plants for signs of pests such as spider mites. In extreme conditions, which can kill their natural predators, these pests can thrive.
Where the hot and dry climate has a punishing and severely drying effect on outdoor cannabis plants some growers set up an outdoor water misting system. These have controllable timers and allow the grower to artificially introduce some atmospheric moisture where it wouldn’t otherwise be possible. With a hot and dry climate at least the grower has the option (if they choose) to artificially increase relative humidity. Growers in hot and humid climates have very little they can do to change the conditions.
Top 5 strains for a hot and dry climate
Hot and humid climate cannabis growing basics
Humidity brings it’s own set of challenges to cannabis growers in hot climates. Hot weather can seem twice as oppressive to humans once humidity is pushed to the max. Sweat sticks to the skin for longer without evaporating. Therefore evaporative surface cooling effects are more difficult for humans….and plants.
For cannabis, the presence of high humidity levels can present the perfect environment for ever-present fungal and mold spores in the atmosphere. Any small areas of damage on your plants, for example areas of infection at leaf removal points, can be rapidly colonised by mold or bud rot (botrytis). If this isn’t spotted quickly it can spread rapidly and in the worst cases decimate your harvest.
Many cannabis growers in hot and humid climates get the best results with sativa strains, or sativa-dominant hybrids. The slightly more open, less-dense bud structure is more resistant to some of the issues seen in hot and humid conditions.
One issue for growers in hot/humid grow conditions is the rapid increase in humidity/dampness which can occur if night time temperatures drop. This can allow large amounts of dew to collect over your blooms – something to be aware of. If you select the right cannabis seeds for hot and humid climates then you should be OK. But if you have some e.g. indica strains with dense buds the regular presence of damp, humidity and heavy dew could increase your chances of mold/bud rot.
What strains are best suited to be grown in hot climates?
Lots of people grow superb quality cannabis in hot climates year after year. The presence of strong sunlight means that one of your main requirements will be present in abundance! All you need are some high quality cannabis seeds can grow in hot conditions with sufficient latitude. Not all cannabis seeds can do this. The following Dutch Passion strains should all deliver particularly good results, even in demanding conditions.
Best cannabis seeds to grow in hot climate with high humidity
The best cannabis seeds for growing in areas with hot climates and high humidity comprise a mix of sativa and indica strains. These have all proven themselves to be particularly tough and resistant to hot and humid climates. The plants are able to grow through the challenges better than other strains and still deliver good harvests.
Some highly recommended hot climate/high humidity strains include:
Desfrán, purest sativa strain from Dutch Passion
Desfrán is perhaps the purest sativa strain in the Dutch Passion collection. Well adapted to steamy jungle conditions! Fans of pure sativa strains will find few better. With an incredibly powerful ‘up’ high and unbeatable euphoria. Rapidly growing and with plenty of stretch you can expect large plants. This variety is also available in autoflower seeds as Auto Desfrán.
Skywalker Haze, easy-to-grow THC monster
Skywalker Haze was created from two THC powerhouse strains, Original Skywalker and Amsterdam Amnesia. The open and airy bud structure copes well with high humidity. Extreme THC levels make this popular with quality focussed growers. Auto Skywalker Haze recently exceeded 26% THC, so whether you prefer feminised seeds or autoflower seeds this strain delivers professional quality results.
Power Plant, classic heavy yielding sativa
Power Plant is a classic sativa strain with notoriously heavy yields. Bloom time is also rapid for a sativa. This combination of winning features have ensured that Power Plant feminised seeds remain best sellers. Fans of autoflowering cannabis seeds should check out Auto Power Plant. These use the same cannabis cup winning genetics but in autoflowering cannabis seeds format.
Best cannabis seeds to grow in hot climate with low humidity
Often growers in hot and dry climates assume that sativa strains would give great results. True enough, many sativa seeds will deliver high quality results. But so will many indica strains. The dense, firm buds cope well in low humidity conditions. Provide the best cannabis seeds at the start and you can expect some seriously powerful results. The following strains are highly recommended for growers in hot climates with low humidities.
Mazar, highly reliable heat resistant indica
Mazar is a particularly reliable heat resistant indica that can be relied on even in brutal conditions. She is available as feminised cannabis seeds, regular seeds and autoflowering seeds (in the form of Auto Mazar seeds). These cannabis cup winning genetics are superb at coping with high temperatures in low humidity environments. This means that Mazar will handle outdoor conditions better in parts of Europe (or North American) in a heatwave better than she might in steamy, humid jungle conditions.
Banana Blaze, proven Afghani Kush genetics
Banana Blaze is an old school indica with a unique sweet banana taste and a blazingly powerful high. Like Mazar, Banana Blaze is a proven member of the Afghani Kush cannabis seed family. These strains stand for durable and tough genetics that can survive well even in demanding conditions. If you like the speed, convenience and ease-of-growth that comes with autoflowering cannabis seeds then you should check out Auto Banana Blaze.
Auto Blackberry Kush, fast top-shelf buds producer
Auto Blackberry Kush is one of Dutch Passions most visually stunning auto strains. She often produces blooms with deep purple and blue hues. She is truly beautiful to look at and produces rich dark berry aromas and a sweet dark fruit Kush taste. She is also one of the fastest autoflower seeds you can grow. Some phenotypes can be ready in as little as 9 weeks after seed germination. If you’re growing in a hot, dry climate then Auto Blackberry Kush seeds is one of the fastest options to deliver top-shelf buds.
Stage by stage cannabis growing guide
If you are growing in extreme conditions then you can expect some challenges. You may be fighting to provide decent conditions for your plants in difficult climatic situations. Starting with the right cannabis seeds is a tremendous advantage. But there are some other tips which may help.
|Avoiding the hottest months and growing autoflower seeds|
|If you live in a region where it’s possible to grow several successive autoflower crops in a single year then you also have the possibility of avoiding the hottest summer months completely. Instead you could consider an early season (spring) autoflower seed grow and maybe a late season (autumn/fall) grow. Using autoflowering cannabis seeds allows the grower the option to skip the months with the most extreme temperatures/weather.|
Hot climate cannabis seedling stage tips
If outdoor conditions are very hot then you may be doing your cannabis seedlings a favour by delaying their exposure to outdoor conditions for as long as possible. Having an extended indoor seedling stage allows them chance for healthy and extensive development both above and below ground before they have to face the challenge of life in the great outdoors. Development indoors under optimised conditions is always going to allow the best start in life. When you do put your seedlings outdoors do so gradually to slowly acclimatise them to the outdoor heat and low humidity.
Hot climate cannabis vegetative stage tips
Some growers in hot, dry climates will keep their plants indoors under vegetative conditions for as long as possible to maximise the plants exposure to an optimised indoor environment. However most growers find that space limitations force them to put their plants outdoors sooner than they would like. Some useful tips include:
- If growing in containers, use large containers so that the grow medium (e.g. soil) can carry large quantities of water. This allows the plant to survive longer between waterings.
- If growing your plant directly in the ground water regularly. Some growers prepare the earth with water absorbing crystals (available from garden centres) which lock in extra water and hold it at root level until required.
- Never place your grow container directly on a hot (e.g. tiled) surface. This can raise the temperature of the root ball to damaging levels. Some growers find that placing their grow container onto a try of wet gravel create a slightly cooler micro climate for the root area.
- Avoid black coloured grow containers which get very hot and bake the root ball. Use white containers. Where possible, cover the plant container so it isn’t exposed directly to the sun, this helps minimise root heat-damage.
Remember, the cannabis plant is tough and can recover well even after severe wilting. Just allow your plant chance to recover in a cool, shaded place and provide water to assist the plant rehydrate. Signs of heat stress, such as curling leaves or wilting, should eventually disappear.
Hot climate cannabis flowering stage tips
Blooming your cannabis plant in extreme heat conditions can be a nervous time for the grower. The harvest is within sight, yet the threat of heat damage remains which could compromise both quality and quantity. There are no magic wands that can solve all the threats. Instead you will need to retain faith in your original cannabis seeds and do what you can to make conditions a little more bearable for your plants.
- In the worst heat waves you may need to remove your plant completely from the sun to prevent severe dehydration. If your plant is suffering heat stress and dehydration provide water. Also try spraying your plant with water, the leaves can absorb water rapidly and directly in a process known as foliar feeding. This also allows surface evaporative cooling effects which help the plant.
- You may need to occasionally put a cover, e.g. tarpaulin over your plants around midday or early afternoon to protect then from the fiercest heat.
- Growers often water both at morning and at night. Note that it’s important not to over-water your plants as well as ensuring that they don’t dry out. Cannabis doesn’t grow well in soil with waterlogged roots, they also need oxygen to survive.
- Some growers will sit their plants in a shallow tray of water. So long as the roots are not left in waterlogged conditions, this technique allows the plants to gradually ‘sip’ water.
- Seaweed kelp extract. Many growers feel the nutritional benefits of seaweed-based nutrients helps to fortify the plants and better protect them from heat stress.
Hot climate cannabis drying and curing tips
Drying and curing your cannabis buds in extreme heat can degrade the taste and potency. Many growers prefer a slow and gradual drying process over a week or so. If your freshly harvested buds are drying out in a couple of days then you need to dry at lower temperatures.
Many outdoor growers dry their harvest indoors in carefully controlled environments. Drying your blooms at temperatures of around 20ºC (around 70ºF) over 7-10 days is quite typical. Note that any indoor drying area needs to have carbon filters and extraction to deal with the inevitable aromas.
Get ready to grow cannabis seeds in hot climates!
Just because you face high summer temperatures doesn’t disqualify you from trying to grow your own cannabis. People in some of the hottest regions of the world are able to successfully harvest their own buds. You will need to carefully consider which are the most reliable strains for you, but a good quality cannabis seed company should immediately know which of their strains deliver the best results in hot climates. Furthermore, they will also have plenty of grow experience and feedback from satisfied customers which will increase your confidence in the seeds you eventually buy. Some of these tips may allow you to cope with the more difficult conditions and can be the difference between a successful harvest and a failed crop. Good luck with your next grow!